Sometimes you just need a simple, tasty way to get a protein rich meal done. And most importantly, a huge load of it so you have plenty left overs for several days. This recipe will deliver exactly that: delicious miso flavoured chicken with tasty leeks and mushrooms. Meal prep at its finest!
Most of us know miso only as the main ingredient of miso soup, but traditional japanese cuisine also uses miso to marinate meat, vegetables and fish. It delivers umami in abundance, saltiness and sweetness. As much as I like marinating meat, I often don’t have the time for it, as I need to get meal prep done now. Therefore we just add the miso at the end, which turns out to work perfectly.
There are several types of miso out there, but generally you can characterise it by its colour: dark types have a stronger, salty flavour; light types are generally less salty, sweeter and not so strong. I often use the light type, as it is more flexible, but feel free to experiment with the type of miso. I tried virtually any of them and they all work well with this recipe.
I used dried garlic and onion for this recipe, but you can also use the fresh variant. Just make sure to fry it after removing the chicken breast from the heat. Fresh onions will be even better than dried ones, but I simply was too lazy to peel onions. Spring onions don’t need any heat, so I just add them when the dish is finished, the residual heat helps softening them up just nicely.
This is an easy, fast way of preparing a lot of protein for many days to come, so you only need to add some simple sides to go with it. I like a refreshing salad with fennel and dill on the side, but feel free to add rice, noodles or potatoes as you like.
- 2,7kg Chicken breast
- 500g Button mushrooms
- 300g Onions, leeks or spring onions
- 35g Cooking fat
- 320g Miso
- Dried garlic, onion and pepper
- Cut the chicken breasts into nice chunks. Put a pan on high heat and add the cooking fat. As soon as the fat starts smoking, add the chicken. Do not stir, let it sit there, roasting, developing flavour.
- Cut the mushrooms in half while the chicken is roasting. Add the dried garlic, onion and pepper, stir and leave to roast just a little more.
- Add the mushrooms and stir until they are tender. Turn the heat off, add the miso, stir well and season to taste. Add the spring onions and serve.
- 16,6g Protein
- 4,3g Carbs
- 1,8g Fat
Did you like the recipe? Then why not subscribe to the Beary Email List below? You will get an email once a week with either a recipe or an evidence-based article and won’t miss delicious dishes and gain some Beary wisdom!